Wednesday 11 January 2012

{Review} Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Release Date: 29 September 2011
Publisher: Hodder & Stroughton
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 418
Rating:  5- Wonderful 
Featuring necklaces made of wishes; an underground shop dealing in teeth; magical tattoos; a wishbone on a cord, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE is a thrilling story about Karou and her secret life as an apprentice to a wishmonger. Karou manages to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she is a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to an inhuman creature who deals in wishes and is the closest thing she has to family. Her life is surrounded by mysteries she is desperate to unveil.
My Thoughts:
 I remember a couple of years ago I had planned to read Taylor’s books and then later on decided that I wouldn’t due to time constraints and so on, after reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I totally regret that decision because her writing is fantastic and I was speechless by this awesomely entrancing world she had created.

This book was original – really original and was refreshing to read as well as to get lost in, this book is one of a kind and something I am proud to say, is extremely strange, and by strange I mean it was wonderful and awesome and – okay, I’ll stop the funny gushing.

The reason I found this world that Taylor created to be so intriguing was mainly due to the fact that Karou was a mystery to everyone around her and also a mystery in my eyes so it was interesting to try and figure things out about her. I mean she had blue hair and I would like to commend Taylor on an excellent job for filling this book with fantasy and making it believable, without making the outlandish things in this book seem childish, it was not.

I really appreciate this book so much as the main character enjoys visual art, I love the arts and think that this book was just so much better for adding this aspect in to Karou’s personality.

The writing is beautiful, addictive and leaves me absolutely speechless, I literally found that Taylor’s writing left me gobsmacked. This is a great book and recommend it all to who would like something original and breathtakingly beautiful.
| Amazon |

No comments:

Post a Comment