Saturday 2 April 2011

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Release Date: 1 July 2008
Publisher: Atom Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 400
Buy the Book: Amazon

Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her. But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behavior earns her a trip to Lyle House, a center for disturbed teens.
At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her room mate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behavior. Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems…? Chloe realizes that if she doesn’t uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse…? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?

I thought this book was okay overall as it was a bit too slow moving for me and I thought that some parts were good and that the characters were well thought out. Armstrong’s writing is nice a descriptive and it creates a nice movie inside your head.

The book had a very interesting concept to it; mental illness could actually be some sort of powers. I thought this was very well done and very clever for a novel. I liked how the main character; Chloe saw many things as if it were a movie.

I am not too sure as to whether or not I will read the rest of the series. I most probably will. The only problem I really had was that some scenes, the writing was a bit dull and bland and so it reflected in the pace of the book.

Well, there is not ,much I can say about this book, but I will definitely read the sequels(or at least that is what my mind is telling me at the moment) But as I stated before I may not read them it depends on how I feel.

Armstrong is a good writer and I have a friend who has read some of her adult works and says that Kelley is just about his favorite author so maybe I will be able to find that I read her novels and enjoy them very much but we will just have to wait and see now wont we?


No comments:

Post a Comment