Sunday 19 August 2012

-Review- Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett
Release Date: 28 August 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: eGalley
Pages: 272
Purchase: Book Depository | Amazon

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable. (Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude.)
Confessions of an Angry Girl is about a young girl named Rosie, who happens to have a best friend who is only concerned about her sex life and popularity, and an enemy who rules the school. Not to mention the fact that Rosie’s father just passed away—life is not easy for her. With so much going; I completely understand why she is a seemingly angry girl. Confessions of an Angry girl is a book that made me incredible happy at times and others, it completely tore me apart.



Despite this being an eGalley; I was hooked right from the beginning by the cover and that layout of the book. The galley had a plain, yet interesting design. Another awesome thing about this book was that each chapter had a definition of a word, which I thought was quite clever due to the fact that at the end of the blurb for the book there are several large words that one may not understand, below it, it says that the reader should look the words up! I love how that kind of thing was tied into the book.

Rozett’s writing style is simple yet I found that it made the story even more riveting in some way; I was hooked. Rosie was an awesome character in my opinion that made the story all the more believable; she was the best “average girl” character that I have ever read about. Rosie in some way was a damaged character who hid what was really happening on the inside and it made the story seem more realistic(although it was a contemporary book), because that is something we all tend to do in real life.

Confessions of an Angry Girl was a touching story. Rozett did not shy away from topics that need to be addressed; such as teenage sex and underage drinking. I think that these topics should be raised, just as they were in this book as it provides insight into some of the issues teenagers may be facing today. I as a teenager appreciate this book due to the lessons that can be learnt from it, even though these certain topics have been drilled into my brain from an early age.

Although this book may have seemed like it revolved around teenage urges, I felt that there was an underlying message. In this book some bullying does take place and that helps to clarify the message, you do not need to conform to what society wants you to be and you do not need to feel the pressure to do things you may not necessarily want to do, from your peers.

Another thing that I absolutely loved was the fact that Rosie and I had similar taste in music, I am a huge Florence + the Machine fan and I enjoyed the fact that there were quite a few references to musical artists.

I loved this book and cannot wait for the second book! I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a well written contemporary novel that will tear you apart and have you addicted right off the bat!

1 comment:

  1. I never thought that this would be the kind of book for me, but the more I read about it, the more I want to get a copy of it for myself! I'm glad to see that it has quite a lot of depth to it too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete