Friday 17 February 2012

{Review} Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Release Date: 4 January 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 435
Rating:  5- Wonderful

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
 My Thoughts:
I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to read this book at all but in the end I was really glad that I had decided to give this book a shot and let me just say that the cover may be intriguing, but so is the inside!

At first I wasn’t really hooked but then I got to a part in which Clara first showed us a glimpse of her ‘glory’, and then I was absolutely hooked. I loved how Hand wrote about these angels which were seemingly different and just like Angela wanted to find out more about angel-bloods, so did I! That was one of the things that made this book so interesting for me; I wanted to find out more about these angels.

The characters in this book kept me amused throughout the entire book and I often found myself smiling or laughing at something in the book, whether it was something that characters did or said or even just the fact that Clara has bright orange hair, and not by default. I thought that Clara was a really awesome main character and it was fun to read the beginning of her story, a story in which she tries to find her purpose and the reason as to why she was put on earth.

Cynthia Hand’s writing is both addictive and beautifully simple and could make any scene become extremely vivid and made the book all the more enjoyable. I thought that the pacing and everything was perfect.

I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book; Hallowed, and I look forward to supporting Cynthia Hand’s books in the future as she showed me a huge amount of promise and I can only hope and pray that the sequel will live up to the greatness which is Unearthly. 
| Amazon |

No comments:

Post a Comment