Thursday 26 April 2012

{Review} Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Release Date: 7 February 2012
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 330
Rating:  4- Great

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
My Thoughts:
 I had very few books about witches before deciding to dive into Born Wicked. What initially drew me in was the fact that the cover was so intense, yet so beautiful and I felt that it set the tone for the book perfectly. Born Wicked was a captivating debut and one that I most certainly enjoyed thoroughly.

Cate was an interesting character that made an incredible perspective to read from and I can only thank Spotswood’s wonderful writing for making Cate such a great character with an addictive voice. Jessica’s writing style was great, but the one thing I found is that sometimes I found some of the scenes to drag on far too long for my liking, however, with that being said; I really do love her writing as it was rich in description that was captivating and beautiful all at once.

Born Wicked takes place in a historical setting, which was evident whilst I read the book, but Spotswood had this great way of making me enjoy the story as if it were a modern tale. I’m not quite sure how to explain it other than: this book, despite the historic setting, will appeal to the modern day audience.

I loved this book and all of its characters and the scenes in which they took part, which made the book as addictive as it was for me. There were some great romance scenes that managed to get my heart racing more than a few times. For some reason I found this book to be filled with suspense and I loved every second of it, eagerly awaiting what plot twist would come next!

Born Wicked is a fantastic debut about witches that were done extremely well and made this book all the more enjoyable! This book is definitely one of my favorites!
| Amazon |

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well. I agree that even though it was historical fiction, the story itself was quite timeless and could be imagined in most eras.

    ReplyDelete