Friday 7 October 2011

{Review} The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff


Release Date: 21 September 2010
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 343
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Rating: 5 Books 
Buy the Book: Amazon
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world. 
Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs. 
My Thoughts:
With the Replacement Brenna quickly became one of my favourite writers and I think that one of the main reasons why this happened was due to the fact that the setting plays such a huge role in the book itself.

I found the eerie town of gentry to be really fascinating and I enjoyed reading about this horrible town and what lurked below it. The setting; Gentry, is a small town with a big secret and this secret is just as gruesome and ugly as the town itself, yet the way Yovanoff wrote about this town made me fall madly in love with it and always had me wanting to try and explore it more somehow as I would want to know about every single little intricate detail about this wonderfully horrible town.

The story line or plot of this book was awesome and I loved the fact that this book was mostly about Fae, yet it was completely different to any other faerie books I have read and what makes this book all the more great is the fact that it is such a dark book.

Now when I say it is a dark book, I do not mean hide this book away because it is so touchy and terrible, it’s not at all. This book is wonderful and I loved it to bits, the reason I say it is dark is because the descriptions about this dark town made this book so lovely and delicious.

When reading this book from Mackie’s point of view I was able to relate to him instantly as he had this constant need to belong and to fit in and it is interesting to see him in both the worlds and I just really found this book to be awesome and loved how different it was!

If you like dark faerie tales and would love to read something new and refreshing then I urge you to pick up this book and read it please. It is wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. on my wishlist 4 a while now, need 2 get a hold of a copy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a copy of this one, and have it sitting in my TBR at home. My BFF said it was fabulous, but I've heard really mixed reviews. I'm so glad you loved it! So excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete