Thursday 6 October 2011

{Review} Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Release Date: 24 May 2011
Publisher: DOUBLEDAY
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 416
Author: Tessa Gratton
Rating: 5 Books 
Buy the Book: Amazon
Draw a circle ... place a dead leaf in the center ... sprinkle some salt ... recite a little Latin ... add a drop of blood ...

Maybe that last part isn't exactly simple. Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott. And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents' horrific deaths. She's willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family—even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep ... and spill some blood.

The book isn't the only recent arrival in Silla's life. There's Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell. She's not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out. But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes this may not be Nick's first encounter with Blood Magic. Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick can't deny their attraction. And they can't ignore the dark presence lurking nearby—waiting to reclaim the book and all its power.

Tessa Gratton's intoxicating first novel will keep pulses racing, minds reeling, and pages turning right up to the very last drop of blood.
 My Thoughts:


I had heard great things about this book and I was actually shocked when the book turned out to be way better than I had originally thought it would be. It blew me away, yet had my glued to every word on every single page!

I know for a fact that Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff are friends and to anyone who would like to know; I am in fact in love with Brenna Yovanoff's writing and I am oh so glad to say that Tessa gives Brenna a run for her money. I loved that Brenna showed Tessa how the setting can also be seen as a character and how big a role it actually plays. I love, love, love dark and delicious books(my term for these kinds of books) and I loved every moment of this book due to the setting making it even more creepy.

Silla and Nick were amazingly well thought out characters and I absolutely loved reading from both of their perspectives. You know a book is really great when you enjoy reading from both sides of the story without getting annoyed. I can not explain to you how wonderful these characters were! I will however try- well on the one hand you get a girl; Silla who is a little wacked in the brain(totally awesome) and you can't help but love her and then you get Nick; who is a jerk yet not like any other jerk you have read about because he is not always such a jerk, his thoughts may reflect this but he is just a really fun character to read about.

Blood Magic. That is ultimately what this book revolves around; creating magic with your blood and a few other things, but the thing I loved about this book was the fact that it was not about what species the characters were or what mystical powers they possessed, but rather yet normal people who discover creepy things and are not 'special' or 'gifted'. They simply are NORMAL people.

This book is absolutely amazing and if you have not gathered this yet, then I will say it a little more clearly: I LOVE THIS BOOK!

Tessa; a fantastic debut that had me on the edge of my seat and kept me constantly guessing. Your writing is simply beautiful and even more so addictive and that is why this book is being rated 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment